February 13, 2017

Lens review: Beaucon Jewels Pink Brown

Yoo!

Today I'll review a pair of circle lenses. ^_^ Up on the plate are the Beaucon Jewels Pink Browns! I know that the name might seem confusing but this is really a pink lens – the brown comes from the fact that these lenses have a brown limbal ring, instead of a black one like the rest of the Beaucon Jewels lenses have. There is a pink lens with an ordinary black limbal ring as well in the series (called simply Beaucon Jewels Pink) but hey, I'm reviewing the brown version!



Base curve: 8.6 mm
Diameter: 14.0 mm
Water content: 45%
Life span: 1 year (I recommend 6 months)


As far as I know Beaucon lenses can only be found at HoneyColor so yeah, that's where to get these if you're interested. The Beaucon Jewels series is an option for all those people who love the design of the popular 'Candy' lenses (EOS Sugar Candy and Vassen Sakura Candy etc) yet want a smaller version of them.

The design is actually quite simple and yet it's a good 'anime eye' effect lens. The pink color is the strongest at the edges and gradually blends towards the center, making these impactful yet not bold enough to jump at you; it's a nice middle-ground between unnatural and semi-realistic, in a way.

One lens in. Notice enlargement.
So, as you can see these are not very big which in turn makes them versatile, in my opinion. This means that, at least for me, these work even without eye makeup and can thus be worn both as a cosplay lens and as a casual lens on lazy days.

The color is a nice light pink, it's a soft shade yet the color shows up surprisingly well; I was kinda expecting these to disappear more into my light blue-gray eyes but they didn't! The color fades a bit towards the center and so your real eye color will show through quite much in the middle so yeah, if this bothers you then you might want to find lenses with a wider field of coverage. The thing though is that a big majority of all circle lenses will have your real eye color showing through closest to the pupil circle lenses are primarily made with the Asian market in mind (brown eyes) and thus the larger pupil hole isn't as noticeable on dark eyes as it is on light eyes because of the 'color clash' effect; on dark eyes it's harder to notice where the pupil ends and the iris begins (aka black is closer to brown than blue/gray/green/whatever). I'm sorry if this is confusing, I hope you get what I mean! ^^; What I'm saying is that basically, as a light-eyed circle lens user, I just got used to it so that I don't have to limit my circle lens choices drastically and thus make my cosplay life harder, lol. I can admit that having my real eye color showing through in the center bothered me when I first started using circle lenses but, since then, I've kinda come to actually like the look and hey, at least a wider pupil opening on a lens means that it's sure to not obstruct my view!

Lens photos ahead!
All photos are taken by me during a February morning with a semi-clear sky. There's no color filters or such on the close-up photos and that's so that the colors would be as true to real life as possible.

Facing a window in my apartment. (sun side)
Apartment room light, only natural (window) light.
Bathroom light.
Flash photo.
White light in the corridor.
Yellow light in the corridor.
Yellow staircase light.
Indoors storage room, natural light.
Outdoors, facing the sun while being in the building's shadow.
Outdoors, back against sun. (facing the wall)
Outdoors, facing sun.
By now I've worn three different colors from the Beaucon Jewels series and I feel like these just won't be comfortable for me – I've never had a super comfy Beaucon lens (yet) and that's such a shame because it's one of the few circle lens brand that focuses on smaller diameter lenses. :'( The comfort is always either bad or sub-par, at best. The Pink Browns would probably fall into the sub-par category; from the first second I insert them I feel them in my eyes, they aren't necessarily thick but when I blink I feel them in my eyelids and it's just not pleasant. Then again, I'm easily bothered if I can clearly feel that I'm wearing lenses so yeah, others with higher tolerance might not find these as bothersome – luckily my eyes do get used to them but it takes about 10 minutes.
Within the first hour of wear I could feel at least a couple times how these lenses suddenly stung my eyes in that dry way, it goes away though.

Distance photo!


Want to check out more reviews of the Beaucon Jewels series?
Look here: Violet, Brown, Green
Short summary:

Color: 7/10
Soft and pleasant pink color. Likable.
Design: 8/10
Simple and likable design that is versatile in its use.
Opacity: 7/10
These do make my eyes appear pink so yeah, the opacity is decent.

Enlargement: 3/10
Small enlargement.
Comfort: 3/10
Makes my eyes tear up upon insertion and I feel them in my eyes. I do get used to them eventually but they feel dry already after 1-2 hours on my sensitive eyes.
 
Naturalness: 4/10
Slightly more natural than its black-ringed cousins, solely because of the lighter limbal ring though. Pink still isn't a natural eye color.

Shiro Samurai says bye bye! Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Consider dropping me a comment if you enjoyed this post. (´∀`○)
Maybe you got inspired, learned something new or you have some other things you want to tell me? Don't hesitate if you have something to say – I'd love to hear from you!